Places I want to visit: Bamboo forest in Japan
When my BFF & I are having a conversation and my boyfriend chimes in with his opinion
so true, lol.
Squats Are AWESOME… But Body Shaming And Objectification Are Not.
This image didn’t always piss me off. And others like it didn’t always piss me off. I was used to seeing them, hearing the rhetoric, and was deeply subscribed to the belief that it was normal & appropriate to motivate women this way.
In an industry where it’s often hard to get women to hop on the resistance train, encouraging them with reminders that it’ll turn them into ridiculously hot amazon women seems to work. Women respond to it and if it gets them squatting, the ends justify the means, right? (no. Not right, but we’ll get to that).
Clearly, I don’t feel the same way now. Body love epiphanies and tipping points will do that to you. But if you’re still where I was, and think these images are harmless, here’s some reasons you might want to rethink them.
The Making Of A Pro-Squat Fitspo Image For Women
A. Find pictures of bootylicious booties, usually headless. If said images aren’t already headless, cut the heads off. Zoom in on booty.
B. Place the words “squat” or “deadlift” all over them. If possible, accompany by a statement (implied or explicit) that those two exercises will make your booty RIDIC HOT, just like the headless girls in the image. Make said booty as sexually explicit as possible by showcasing it in underwear or booty shorts.
C. To really drive the point home, give the comparison treatment: showcase another smaller, flatter booty, (also headless) and dub said booty the ‘BAD non-squatty, non-deadlifty” booty Just another visual, to make sure you know the difference between a good butt and a bad butt.
D. If true fear or shame is what you’re after, apply a hefty dose of “men prefer women who squat, because of course” and duh, you want a hot booty to impress the fellas. The more implications that your ability to be attractive to men depends on squats, the better.
Interesting read and a great way to put subliminal body-shaming into perspective. I’ve seen these memes all over Instagram and Tumblr, and while they are powerful in encouraging women to get fit, they actually do more harm than good. I <3 Fit Villains.
If our current career path doesn’t work out, we’re just gonna go 50/50 on an ugly cat and get rich.
Warm/Cold Zucchini Noodles With Pesto
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds *optional (sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chia seeds are also good options).
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 4 medium-sized zucchini or yellow summer squash
- 3/4 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3/4 cup olives, pitted
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), shredded
- For the pesto, add walnuts, seeds*, basil, garlic, olive oil and salt to a food processor or blender. Process until well combined.
- Cut ends off zucchini. You can use a spiralizer (like this one) to make the noodles, or a mandolin to slice the zucchini lengthwise and/or a knife. Try to keep slices thin.
- If cold: Toss zucchini pasta with remaining ingredients and pesto, to taste.
- If warm: Toss noodles very gently in a medium saucepan with 1 tbsp of olive oil for 2-4 minutes over medium heat. Add in pesto, and toss until heated. Serve.
Recipe via CBC
Veggie noodles are the BOMB. Cooked or raw, they’re awesome in “pasta” recipes and salads.
I have a feeling this just made the top of my wish list, lol. WANT. HARD.
Cutter deets here.
How to spiralize veggies without a cutter via Oh She Glows
i need this.
cutest top bun, ever
Chili Roasted Chickpeas = The Best. Ever.
You can’t go wrong with 4 ingredients. :)
4 cups cooked chickpeas
3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil or grape seed oil
5 teaspoons of chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt
* optional chives to garnish, lime for an extra kick!
New snack idea.
Come on! You know Kelly looks spot on! She looks so beautiful. I’ve said it before, but Kelly Rowland is beautiful and she doesn’t get enough credit. I love the bangs. I love a harsh bang. I love those flirty sheer cutouts on the dress. It’s just…you either love it or hate it. I, for one, love it.
Best Dressed @ The Grammy’s. That dress is to die for!
me….sad to say